Thursday, February 21, 2013

Technology in PE

When I mention using technology in PE, most people laugh and roll their eyes.  No, seriously - I LOVE IT....well, to a certain point.  If it is something that can easily be used by the students and not take away from activity time - then I'm ALL IN! 

It is common that the gym is kind of multi-purpose room.  It is used for PE, fundraiser programs, music programs, guest speakers, etc.  Right now my gym is having an air conditioning unit installed.  Ironic since it is like 30 degrees outside, but man will it be nice in May!  We had PE in the library a couple of times.  (we couldn't go outside due to rain)  So, what can we do in the library for PE???  I decided to incorporate some health.

I took an iPad class back in November.  One of the sessions was on QR Codes...you know, those square scan code thingies???
I worked along with my school's TRT (who is awesome) and we put together a QR Code project teaching the 4th and 5th graders about the skeletal system.  The students brought a pair of scissors and glue with them and I provided them an iPod and a packet.  The packet included each of the bones (enlarged on a couple sheets of paper) and an instruction sheet.  Take a look at the instruction sheet.



The students go step by step until they have completed their skeleton and learned a little bit of information about certain bones.  It was better than me lecturing about it :-)  They really seemed to enjoy it!  And no worries, we did the Cha-Cha Slide and a few other fun dances to get our blood flowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment